When you are sewing, you need to have a quality iron that is going to allow you to get into some pretty tight corners. You need to be able to make sure that the overlap from seams is flat in order to create a quality garment that fits properly, but not all irons will let you work in very small spaces.
Today we are going to take a look at five of the best irons that you can use for all of your sewing projects, and what makes these irons so good to use. Let’s get started.
|EDITOR’S CHOICE|| 1. Sunbeam Steammaster Steam Iron
|RUNNER UP|| 2. Oliso Pro TG1600 Smart Iron
| 3. Steamfast SF-717 Mini Steam Iron
| 4. CHI 13101 Steam Iron
| 5. Panasonic NI-L70SRW Cordless Iron
Best Irons Reviews
1. Sunbeam Steammaster Steam Iron
The Sunbeam Steammaster Steam Iron has been proven to give exceptional results. With 1400 watts of pressing power, this top-of-the-line, variable-control steam iron lets you smooth out any wrinkles, no matter how stubborn they are.
The Steammaster offers 1400 watts of power, and it has a large soleplate that is made from stainless steel and has non-stick properties. The water tank is large, and there is an anti-drip system that keeps water from leaking, no matter what temperature setting you are using.
If you need extra steam, you can use the Shot of Steam feature on both flat and vertical surfaces, even draperies. Thanks to the Vertical Shot of Steam feature, you won’t always have to drag out the ironing board.
This iron has a self-cleaning system that keeps the tank from gathering mineral deposits, so you will always enjoy optimal performance. It is lightweight at just 1.4 pounds, and has an 8-foot, retractable cord.
This iron will shut off after 30 seconds of inactivity in the horizontal position, so you don’t have to worry about clothing burning if you should happen to leave it plugged in by mistake.
- Variable steam sets perfect amount of steam every time
- 3-way Motion Smart technology automatically shuts iron off after 30 seconds
- Pointed tip for ironing seams and pleats
- Smooth gliding stainless steel soleplate ideal for professional use
- Complaints of iron melting due to overheating
- Problems with internal rusting
- Handle gets very hot and uncomfortable
2. Oliso Pro TG1600 Smart Iron
The Oliso Pro TB1600 Smart Iron is a quality iron for sewers, with iTouch Technology. Scorch guards lower with a touch of your hand, and lifts as soon as you stop ironing, so you don’t have to worry about scorching your fabric.
The pro-press stainless steel soleplate has a thick chromium finish, making it extremely durable and scratch-resistant.
This iron offers an auto shut-off feature that shuts off the appliance after 30 minutes if it is standing, and 30 seconds if it is knocked over, so there is no need to worry about burning or fire hazards. It has 1800 watts of power, and heats up quickly so it is ready to use in just a few seconds.
There are three steam settings: continuous, horizontal burst, and vertical burst, and three levels of steam you can use (low, medium, and high).
There is also a detailer tip that is great for sewing between layers for crisp pleats, pockets, and seams, making this an ideal iron for professional sewers. You can always be sure your seams will lie flat and all of your creations will be perfectly sewn, and the one-pass pressing makes for quick ironing jobs.
- Stainless steel soleplate is durable and scratch resistant
- Two-inch detailer tip for pleats and pockets
- Seven steam settings with three steam levels
- Features Oliso’s patented iTouch Technology
- Up and down feature stops working
- Complaints of leakage after a few months of use
- Can get hung up on seams instead of gliding over them
3. Steamfast SF-717 Mini Steam Iron
Why get an iron just for sewing when you can have one for multiple uses, including travel? The high-end Vornado SF-717 is just the iron you need for all types of sewing jobs, and it is small and lightweight enough to make it ideal for travel. It heats up quickly, and is backed by a two-year, hassle-free warranty with excellent customer service.
At 420 watts, you might think the Vornado SF-717 couldn’t possibly get hot enough. Think again, because this is an iron that can remove wrinkles from pretty much any type of fabric, and it has an anti-slip handle to make it easier to grip.
It heats up in 15 seconds, and there is a one-touch steam control and three temperature settings for various fabrics. It has a tiny, non-stick soleplate, so you can get into those tight corners when you are sewing.
This may be the world’s smallest steam iron, but it is huge on performance. It has dual voltage for convenience, so you can take it with you anywhere on your world travels and simply select between 100 and 240 volts.
It also comes with a travel bag and a plastic measuring cup for your convenience.
- 100% chemical-free freshness
- Great for at home or on the go
- Dry or steam iron with one-touch steam control
- Lightweight at less than 1 lb.
- Built for the US, may not always work with external volt-converting devices
- Complaints about steam not working
- Complaints about water leaking out
4. CHI 13101 Steam Iron
The top-quality CHI 13101 steam iron is one that offers precise temperatures, and delivers professional results. No matter what you need to iron, including small sewing projects, you can be sure this iron is going to do the job.
This iron offers professional high-performance power, with a titanium-infused ceramic soleplate that won’t scratch.
If you are looking for an iron that heats up quickly, offers an ultra-smooth glide, and offers professional results, the CHI 13101 steam iron is the choice for you. This iron has a temperature dial with a fabric guide, so you always get the right settings, no matter what type of fabrics you are ironing.
It has an adjustable steam control, and more than 300 steam holes for smoothing out the most stubborn wrinkles with ease.
This iron is made with CHI flat iron technology, and uses the same type of titanium-infused ceramic soleplate as the CHI hair styling tools. There is also a unique steam lever that is adjustable from no steam to full power simply by sliding the lever.
The sleek handle has a textured grip that is comfortable and gives you complete control.
- CHI flat iron technology
- Titanium infused ceramic soleplate
- Limited two-year warranty and outstanding customer service
- 1700 watts and plenty of high steam performance
- Complaints of steam function not always working
- Complaints of plating coming off after being cleaned
- Some customers are receiving used units with water still inside
5. Panasonic NI-L70SRW Cordless Iron
The Panasonic NI-L70SRW cordless iron is ready to go as soon as it is charged, and it comes with its own charging base so you never have to worry about annoying cords again. This iron has a curved, stainless steel soleplate that offers a smooth glide over most types of fabric.
There is an electronic temperature control panel for easy, accurate settings, and many features that sewers are looking for.
Here is a 3-piece, cordless steam/dry iron set that makes it easy and safe to iron pretty much anything that is made with fabric, and it will always glide smoothly. The charging base is sturdy, and there is an automatic, retractable cord that can be hidden when the iron is not charging.
There is an auto-shutoff feature, and the water tank is detachable for easy filling and cleaning.
Unlike many other steam irons, this one has a cool spray mist option, as well as an anti-drip system. It can also be used for vertical steaming so you don’t have to set up the ironing board if you just have one or two items to iron.
The clear carrying case is heat resistant, and makes for easy transport of this iron if you are traveling.
- No cord means no twists and tangles while working
- Charging base deactivates after 10 minutes when iron is plugged in
- Lightweight carrying case for portability
- One-touch controls for easier ironing
- May not get hot enough after a few months of use
- Terrible warranty when buying from third-party sellers
- Iron seems to cool down when steam function is used
Now you have had a chance to look at a few of what we consider to be the best irons for sewers. In our opinion, the best choice is the Vornado SF-717.
It may not be the largest or most powerful iron on the market today, but it is the most convenient, and it can really get into those small spaces such as pleats and pockets, which is something that all sewers look for in an iron. It is lightweight and portable, so you can use it anywhere, and it won’t take up too much space in your luggage when traveling.
sewing machines for beginners
A detailed review about the best sewing machines for novice crafters.
sewing machines for denim
If you are looking for the perfect model to work with denim, read this review.